Loretta's Reviews > Belles

Belles by Jen Calonita

Jan 18, 2012

Read from April 04 to 05, 2012

I was so excited to start Belles. I sounded amazing and of course, took place in the south. Where I reside! I really liked this book. It was beautifully written. Jen Calonita really wrote such a fantastic book with amazing jump off the page characters that I enjoyed throughout the book. I loved watching them grow as individuals and, as a whole as well.
Izzie's mother died when she was 10. Her Father isn't in the picture. So all Izzie has left is her Grandmother, who has cared for Izzie for all this time. But since her grandmother is fighting with Alzheimer's, she is no longer able to give Izzie the care that a girl her age needs! So when she can the grandmother sets up further plans for her. Now that time has come. Izzie must leave the home that she has lived in for so long. And move in with "family" that she has never met before. Everything is so different. Izzie is brought into a life where she does not have to do the things that she “had” to before. She is unsure of what to do and feels very out of place.
No matter how hard Izzie tries at her new school. Izzie cannot get a break from one of the schools mean girls. Savannah. Who makes it her mission to make the new girl who’s from the bad side of town miserable, and it works.
Izzie’s cousin Mira is not sure what to do with the new situation. She is not used to having any other girls around, her being the only one out of 3 boys. But, she has to of course learn to deal with the new situation. She must decide, is she going to let the mean girl keep on torturing Izzie? Or is she going to do the noble thing?
This book was a very heart-felt book. I thought that the characters were very likeable. Loveable, even. You get to know about how both a reacting to different situations because this book is alternating pov’s between both of the girls. You will get to see them struggle, grow and utterly overcome some major things that they are faced with.
The ending of Belles was rather shocking, yes. But as a reader I feel that the ending was rather rushed. It didn’t mean that I did not love it. I would have just liked, a little something more at the end.
Overall, Belles, was a fantastic read. With very amazing characters, and a ending that will leave you speechless.
Jen Calonita knows how to write a perfectly amazing book. I am very much looking for more books in the future.. Maybe a sequel or companion?
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Belles.

04/05/2012 page 158
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by JenniferJ (new) - added it

JenniferJ How are you liking this one so far Loretta? It sounds so good and me being from the Carolina's I can't resist picking it up!

Loretta It is a really good book!