Valentina Heart's Reviews > Savaro's Honey Buns

Mar 03, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: glbt, the-romance-reviews
Read from January 19 to 20, 2012

This review was originally written for The Romance Reviews and can also be found there.

SAVARO'S HONEY BUNS is one of those books that attracted me more with its blurb and an amazing cover than won me over with a memorable content. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad book, quite enjoyable in fact, but nothing that sticks with a person and makes you think about it for days.

Savaro is a man who has been abandoned and hurt too many times in his life, so he had come to a point where he was content with just his brothers as support and the love of his adoptive father. He has his restaurant and is a successful man, so he honestly thinks he doesn't need anything else.

Jamal is on a break from his basketball career and one thing he wants is a taste of home. His friend shares the location of a restaurant that makes the best honey buns a man could want and it seems like the perfect thing to satisfy Jamal. But seeing the owner surpassed the taste of the delicacy and suddenly Jamal finds himself craving for something far more delicious.

Jamal falls fast and hard while Savaro, although willing, is more than reluctant. His wounds are still fresh and he fears revealing his past because it just might get him hurt again.

I saw Savaro's pain and doubts, it was stated really clearly and made a perfect set up for an emotional but romantic story. But in my opinion the author breezed through it too quickly, telling more than showing and while I do like instant love scenarios, when combined with a character who has been hurt, I need a bit more flesh in the story to make me believe it. Jamal jumped right in, and while that was a sign of confidence, it also made him hasty and somewhat ‘too good to be true'.

Then came the high moment of the story and everything turned too sweet and too accepting. Maybe I would have taken it better if it hadn't been a combination of the two, but as it was, I couldn't force myself to get attached to either of the characters. I admit the brothers were entertaining, but they didn't get enough page space and weren't quite solid characters.

While I am explaining my three star rating, I would like to say that I did enjoy this book and I do like the easy way this author spins a story. I will be looking for more contemporary titles by Remmy Duchene for sure.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Savaro's Honey Buns.

01/19/2012