Alyssa's Reviews > The Vampire Shrink

The Vampire Shrink by Lynda Hilburn

Apr 11, 12

bookshelves: adult, pnr, pnr-vampires, pnr-witches, romance, lady-romance
Read on April 10, 2012

What I liked: Kismet at the start, Midnight & Ronald's romance.

What I didn't like: How vampires had crazy powers like being able to teleport through time, space, dreams, etc; Kismet's sexual attraction jumping between Alan and Devereux; all the leather clad vampires; Kismet trying to understand that vampires do exist (it was acceptable at the start, but towards the end I wanted to throw my kindle across the room); Tom, Kismet's ex-lover; Bryce's creepiness; the fact that vampires could use magic; the fact that vampires could read minds; the fact that vampires were so stupidly overpowered/attractive they were unbelievable; the whole protection ritual thing Devereux set up with his dead mother Lady Amara...

Anyway, I thought it was entertaining at first. Then it started to go downhill. I guess I prefer YA novels for the sole fact there isn't sex, or at least not graphic sex, or at least sex isn't a main focus point.

I did think this book had a good premise. Kismet starts seeing a client who believes in vampires, and Kismet realizes there is a whole 'vampire-wannabe' subculture. She thinks it's her next book deal in the making, and so she takes on a client list. What she doesn't know is that vampires really do exist.

Now while this did start out interesting, Kismet was so far in De Nile I was surprised she managed to find her way to shore. Sure, it took vampires levitating (what the *@!%?) to make her realize it, but she eventually accepts vampires do exist.

As I mentioned, I really disliked how Hilburn portrayed the vampires in this universe. They're far too overpowered with unrealistic attributes. But I can console myself based on the fact that these, at least, did not sparkle.

Anyway, I don't know if I'll check out the second book. I might, but I really don't count on it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vampire Shrink.