Suzanne's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling

Jul 25, 07

bookshelves: british-obsessions, books-i-own
Read in July, 2007

“I’m going to keep going until I succeed — or die. Don’t think I don’t know how this might end. I’ve known it for years.” — Harry Potter

Most seventeen-year olds don’t view the possibility of an early death as being, well, possible. But then again, most seventeen-year olds haven’t come face-to-face with death almost half a dozen times before their first kiss either.

In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, the seventh and final installment of the ridiculously popular Harry Potter series, J.K. Rowling brilliantly ties up every loose end that she has planted over the last ten years since the very first outing of the series was published in 1997. Truly, Rowling has learned exactly what her fans want and subsequently delivers a book that answers every Potterhead’s questions — and then some.

Not only does Deathly Hallows revisit key places and characters from all of the previous six books, but Rowling even manages to make clever references to previous bits of dialogue from her earlier books. Case in point: near the end of the first Potter book, after Hermione fails to see the magical solution to saving the trio from a nasty patch of Devil’s Snare, Harry’s best mate Ron bellows “HAVE YOU GONE MAD? ARE YOU A WITCH OR NOT?” Now, six years later, Hermione finally gets her revenge on her red-headed friend when Ron believes that all is lost until Hermione yells to him “Are you a wizard, or what?” thus reminding Ron to use his wand to solve their problem. Subtle references such as this are a large part of what makes Rowling’s books so enjoyable to re-read as there are always deeper meanings and additional allusions that are often only discovered via multiple read-throughs.

Harry’s bold statement regarding his own potential death is also a prime example of how much Rowling truly wrote Harry’s last tale for her long-time fans. This line seems to read as a secret “shout-out” to the Potterites who have also known for years that the series might not end happily ever after. The prophecy in the fifth book revealed that “neither shall live while the other survives”, and therefore by the end of book seven either Harry or Voldemort had to die. Rowling cleverly fills her last installment with so many twists, turns and complications, however, that it becomes practically impossible to determine which way this book is going to end.

More than any of the other Potter books, Deathly Hallows is a true quest narrative, with the trio spending the majority of the story hunting for horcruxes and hallows whilst evading capture by Voldemort’s Death Eaters. The multiple close-calls that all three main characters find themselves in throughout the book add to the tension that continues to build until the predictably bloody battle at the end of the tale. The book does, after all, chronicle a brutal war, so be prepared for a lot of killing and, consequently, a lot of tears.

This is not to say that Deathly Hallows doesn’t offer up a great deal of laughs as well. The hilarious twins Fred and George Weasley make several appearances to ensure that the book isn’t all doom and gloom. By far, the funniest part of the story is the secret radio show Potterwatch, anonymously hosted by former Hogwarts Quidditch commentator Lee Jordan with special appearances from Fred, George, and ex-Defence Against the Dark Arts professor Remus Lupin. Rowling perfectly mixes this blend of humour, tragedy and adventure so that her epic-length novel never lags or drags.

To write a 607 page book that millions of die-hard fans around the world are able to devour in less than 24 hours is no mean feat, but Rowling’s farewell to the Boy Who Lived is an incredibly gripping page-turner that will leave all Potter lovers immensely satisfied.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

lianna thanks for the review :)

Blanca Good review! I have a question, what page is that quote from Harry? I can`t find it.

lianna 568-569 is the pages of the quote from Harry. :)

Blanca Darkanddead wrote: "568-569 is the pages of the quote from Harry. :)"

Thank you. :]

lianna Blanca wrote: Thank you. :]"

You're welcome. :)

Suzanne Thanks so much for the compliments! :)

Janeen-san Wow, that book review was REALLY GOOD! I love goodreads, I can find so many good book reviews of my favorite books! I loved Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows as well, and I did write a review, but it's not nearly as good as this one!

message 8: by Noa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Noa I could hardly sleep Reading this book!! I really like your review!

Sadie Brasel Wow if you can write a review that great you should be an author!!! :) I would definetly read your books but all of that is true Harry potter is by far my favorite book :)

James Excellent review. I was tired of the negatives I had heard about the book. I'm rereading this now in anticipation of the new film. Good job.

Morgan I nearly cried when Fred died

James Morgan wrote: "I nearly cried when Fred died"

Spoiler!

message 13: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah nearly cried???i cried buckets

Scarlet Heavens I'll never forgive Rowling for killing Fred, Dobby, Tonks, Lupin, Dumbledore, Sirius, Snape.....

Isabell Scarkett, this is a spoiler-free review, and I think it'd be fair if you didn't put spoilers in the comments.

butter be scotch I like how you put it "true quest narrative"
Though my thoughts about the book is different, I liked your review anyway.

Scarlet Heavens Isabell wrote: "Scarkett, this is a spoiler-free review, and I think it'd be fair if you didn't put spoilers in the comments."

I am sorry, I didn't even realize it was spoiler-free, for I read other comments that had spoilers in them.

Isabell Scarlet wrote: "I am sorry, I didn't even realize it was spoiler-free, for I read oth..."

I'm sorry I singled you out, your's was just the comment that showed.

message 19: by Scarlet (last edited Jun 19, 2011 05:55AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Scarlet Heavens L. wrote: "Okay, this explains why I was able to read it again without being bored. There are two kinds of readers: plot readers and character readers, and once plot readers read it once it's done. CRs can re..."

I agree totally. I am taking my finals now, and while studying I re-read Harry Potter from 1 to 7 (and even some fan-fic too), and now I am reading the Philosopher's stone all over again, just enjoying the characters and the little things they do and say, and it has only passed a few days since I finished reading Deathly Hallows last time.

Have you heard about Pottermore? Any idea what that will be?

Micheline Amazing review for the incredible final book from an incomparable series! Rowling is an absolute genius, I doubt there will ever be a series that even comes close to Harry Potter. I've read and re-read this series many times, and it's never gotten old.

Meghan Wo

Samantha This is the greatest book ever written. I can guarantee that. Awesome review!

Andie Estella an amazing and heartfelt review for the end of a truly inspiring series. J.K. Rowling will always be known for bringing back the joy of reading to an entire generation.

Nancy (Apollo) (George) That is an amazing review! seriously wow!

Damos I'm 25% in and thought I'd risk reading a review. This one's a cracker! Well done.

вełłαтяıχ  ¤¤ "αℓωαуѕ." I think the novel is actually 759 pages.... But a brilliant review.

вełłαтяıχ  ¤¤ "αℓωαуѕ." This is an incredibly succinct review (for a 759-page novel).

Frieda AMAZING review

Emily That has to be one of the best reviews for this book that I have ever seen. I am a HUGE fan of Harry Potter. I have read all the books and seen all the movies like at least 5 times each and I never get tired of them. Every time I reread the books, I saw something that I missed before. You should reread a book at least twice before you can feel like you really understand the book. Anyways, LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!!!!!!!!!!

Kalkedan Bezabih I agree with the fact that J.K. Rowling managed to make the book a bit humorous to make up for the obvious tears we shed when we read it. I practically sobbed when Ron left Harry and Hermione to find the horcruxes on their own, but all the snide and funny comments throughout the book made up for it. I also agree with the fact that they visit key places and people that have been in previous books, like Number 12 Grimmauld Place, the Ministry, The Weasleys' house, Godrick's Hollow, etc. They haven't been to Hogwarts in a while either. I also agree with you when you say that it was bold of Harry to accept his death like that. In the book, it meantions that he's known what the outcome might be for a while now... He's known that he might have to give his life to defeat Voldemort. After looking at the memories, he kind of just shrinks and accepts his fate boldly. He doesn't even say goodbye to anyone, and he lies about where he's going to Neville to make it easier on them, and himself. He doesn't even raise his wand to fight when Voldemort raises his. I think it was very bold of Harry to "die" like that, and I think they should have shown more of that in the movies.

message 31: by Alex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex loved the quote you chose to start!! Wonderful review by the way :)

Cassidyk I loved how you began your review with a quote. I never even noticed that Hermione repeated to Ron what Ron had said to her in the first Harry Potter book. Beautifully written review.