Ken Consaul's Reviews > Prodigal Son

Prodigal Son by Dean Koontz

Jan 18, 12

Recommended to Ken by: daughter, a hard core Koontz fan
Recommended for: hard core Koontz fans
Read in January, 2012, read count: 1

I'd actually meant three and a half stars but no option.
Let me preface this by saying I'm not a big Koontz fan. To me, his bad guys are boring and one dimensional. The Surgeon in Prodigal Son was just another in a long line of blah bad guys.
However, the other characters are fleshed out nicely with the exception of Helios/Frankenstein, another cookie cutter villain (I'm so smart, I can do as I want because I'm special). The segments from his point of view I just skimmed because I know what's coming.

SPOILER ALERT. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK

There's a bit much of the sci-fi that seems cobbled together and cliche. People created in tanks, downloaded intelligence, talking heads and crawling hands. How does a living head immersed in fluid talk through the water and without lungs?
Other reviews say Koontz both modernized and refined the Frankenstein story. We go from the original ruined castle laboratory to a complete hospital complex staffed by clones. The hospital complex is located in the middle of a major city but no one seems to notice anything funny going on? They bricked up all the windows in a hospital in my town and everyone just thought they were going to convert it to a Costco so I guess it could happen.

Still, its a good story, well-paced with good dialog. I'll continue with the series but expect at some point I will have reached the limit of suspending my disbelief in the name of entertainment.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prodigal Son.