Jessica Barkl's Reviews > Beautiful Bodies

Beautiful Bodies by Laura Cunningham

Jan 18, 12

Read in January, 2012

This is not the most amazing play I've ever read. It lives in that genre that people were writing in the late 80s and 90s: "friends-as-family". This genre was definitely eclipsed by the series SEX IN THE CITY, which doesn't play it as safe as this play, but this play was written in 1987 and put in a compilation of plays for women, so...I guess I can't criticize it too terribly...it was early in the genre, and someone has to break the glass ceiling with women in this genre...though, of course, there is the play THE WOMEN by Claire Booth Luce, but...I digress. I've been rehearsing this for three days now, playing the part of Jessie (which is a first for me...that is...playing a role that has the same name as me...), and I will say that it is much more fun to play, than to read, and, hopefully, it will be more fun to watch. The director and the cast have decided to leave it in the late 1980s, so I think that will give it some oomph and some more humor...I mean, come on, 1987 clothing and hair...if the dialogue and our acting isn't enough, the nostalgia will be.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautiful Bodies.