Chana's Reviews > The Chimney Sweeper's Boy

The Chimney Sweeper's Boy by Barbara Vine

Nov 20, 12

bookshelves: british, fiction-family-drama, mystery-psychological
Read on January 18, 2012

I had read this before some years ago but somehow it ended up on my to be read shelf once again. Following one of bookcrossings "theme of the month" threads, Jan was jobs and careers, I picked this one up and read it again.
I did not remember most of it, although it had left me with some impressions that I would only recognize had become part of my thoughts when I read those parts this second time around. It is a very unhappy book for nearly every character, if you are looking for happy endings don't look here.
Gerald Candless, famous author, passes away and his oldest daughter decides she will write a memoir of her father. What she discovers is that his identity is false, he is not the man she thought he was, who is he? who are she and her sister if their father is not who he said he was?
Like all Ruth Rendell's written as Barbara Vine books this one is dark, compelling, well-written. It is powerful but ugly and left me feeling a little emotionally ill.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Chimney Sweeper's Boy.

message 1: by bookczuk (new)

bookczuk I'd been eying this book, but hesitant. I think I can safely put it on my "sounds interesting, but I don't want to read" list.