Linny's Reviews > Demon Kissed

Mar 12, 2012

bookshelves: favorites
Read on January 25, 2012

Review on Linny's Literature

This book was not what I expected. From the first page to the last it threw me in different directions, constantly bindsiding me and taking me on a rollercoaster of emotions along with the main character. Everything from the thrilling story, to the chracters that I loved, to the writing itself, came together to make Demon Kissed an amazing read.

When I started reading Demon Kissed, I was skeptical because the book did not waste any time - it immidiately dumped you into important, story-changing events one after the other without break and at first it was a little overwhelming. I think it was strange to me because this isn't how authors usually do it, usually dragging things out and building suspense for chapters. I quickly got used to it, though, and revelled in the quick paced, action packed story that keeps up right until the last page. Demon Kissed was thrilling and not once did I get bored while reading. I often found myself getting so caught up in the story that I would forget the world around me. My mom would call me for dinner and I would literally jump and think "HolycrapitsaValefar!". When a book can transport you out of your life and straight into it's story, you know that the author did something very right.

Not only was this book filled to the brim with edge-of-your-seat action, but the story of Demon Kissed was completely original. Part-demon Valefars that can rip out your soul with a kiss. Part-angel Martis fighting against the evil Valefar. Both forces immortal and gifted with unimaginable powers. And a prophecy that throws one girl into it all, commiting her to a life of torment that she didn't ask for. Book after book about the same vampires and werewolves is growing dull, but Demon Kissed is not like anything that I have ever seen before.

I felt everything that the main character, Ivy, felt from the sting of a betrayal to the excitment of friendship. Usually I can guess the plot twists far in advance when I read a book, but I was just as completely shocked as Ivy when unexpected things came at her out of nowhere. I think that was probably one of my favorite things about Demon Kissed: feeling like I was in Ivy's shoes through the whole story. Ivy's character was realistic- not inhumanly emotionless or robotic and not overly sensitive and annoying. Both of these traits are an all too common problem in the YA book world. But Ivy reacted to the things that happened to her in a very human and understandable way, making her relatable and likeable. It also helped that, unlike some lead females, Ivy wasn't weak and pitiful. She was powerful and knew how to stand up for herself. So many bad and unfair things happen to Ivy, and she wonders why this all had to happen to her, but she never stops fighting. Ivy is definitely one of my new all-time favorite heroines, but she wasn't the only character in this book that I loved.

Each and every character brought something to the story that enhanced it, not one of them flat and meaningless in their existence. Collin, the "enemy" that Ivy is falling for, is powerful, thoughtful, and the hot bad-boy to his core. Is he trying to protect Ivy, or is he plotting against her? His alligence keeps you guessing right up until the last pages of the book. And then there's Ivy's Martis friend Eric. Eric is sweet and is always there for Ivy, but what will happen when he learns that she is the girl in the prophecy? Al, the elderly Martis nun that wants nothing but to help Ivy, is wise and always has something funny to say. All of the characters and even the ones that you at first think are meaningless all play important roles in making Demon Kissed the epic story that it was.

Demon Kissed was original and exciting and I loved it, down to every plot twist. It was refreshing to never know what was going to happen or what the characters were going to do, all while feeling like I was living Ivy's life through the words on the page. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone with a taste for awesome.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Demon Kissed.

01/25/2012 page 57