Mickey's Reviews > Love in the Time of Cholera

Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez

Jan 18, 2012

liked it
Read from May 29 to July 01, 2012

** spoiler alert ** I never got around to seeing the movie, so when I saw the book at a used book sale, I picked it up.

It was an interesting book to get through on a lot of different accounts:

1. The culture of love in the setting of the book has to be a lot different than our contemporary culture. The idea that all the pursuing of women Florentino Ariza did in the name of "love" was okay is difficult to understand today. He seemed to have no scruples at all of the women whose lives had made worse by his "love". Maybe "love," as Marquez describes is, is something entirely different than how we define it today.

2. The way Marquez writes is interesting. There are very few chapters and convenient places to put the book down for a while. One plot development leads right into the next. Paragraphs are very long.

3. The ending was puzzling to me. So did they sacrifice the Captain's life to keep on sailing up and down the river under the cholera flag? That sounds like a sentence to me, although Marquez did describe that, upon the original completion of the trip, neither Florentino Ariza nor Fermina Daza could handle the idea of going back to their former homes. Still, they were giving up their freedom! They couldn't have been so much "in love" that they couldn't see that. I don't understand it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love in the Time of Cholera.