Pansy Lane's Reviews > The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Jan 19, 2012

bookshelves: 2012-books
Read in January, 2012

I did not give this book five stars just because I'm a huge fan of John Green. I rated it so highly because I finished it at 1am and then had trouble sleeping all night because I couldn't stop thinking about it, and because I had that weird, light, almost-sleep in which you know you dreamed about something (the book) but can't actually remember any of it and it doesn't feel like you've actually been asleep at all. Clearly I shouldn't stay up late reading a book that makes me sob and then go straight to bed. It didn't work out.

There's always a certain level of fear that happens when you get a new book from a favorite author, but it was silly of me to have worried. I love the way John Green writes teenagers. I love that he seems to have created some sort of Manic Pixie Dream Boy in Augustus Waters (because you don't see a lot of those and I don't think of the MPDG/B as a bad thing) and I thought he was kind of wonderful. And maybe it's just a sign that I'm getting older, but I sympathized so much with the parents in this book, especially Hazel's mom. It would have been easy to focus on developing the Hazel/Augustus relationship and forget about how the parents fit into everything (which happens in so many YA novels) but obviously the parents are an integral part of this story.

Obviously I cried, but I cry at everything so I didn't even bother to try and stop it. I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't have the plot of the book pegged and was thrown a curveball at the end-- maybe other people figured it out earlier, but I didn't, and oh. It was sad and lovely and beautiful.