Bluerose's Heart's Reviews > Peter Pan

Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie

Mar 26, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: classic, fantasy, gender-neutral, young-adult-12-and-up

Disclaimer for Peter Pan fans: Please don't get offended by my dislike of him! ;) I totally respect the fans out there!

I read this one back in January. I've learned that I'm not a Peter Pan fan. I don't recall ever watching the Disney version, but I was still surprised as I read Peter Pan! It was darker than I expected. You can definitely tell that it was intended more for a boy audience(I'm not saying girls won't enjoy it, because plenty do). The dark part didn't bother me, though. It wasn't THAT dark.

I just didn't get it. I do understand the whole "holding on to childhood" thing. At least part of it. I know I didn't understand everything, because there were parts I was just flat-out confused! The "kiss"?!?!? Is that a childhood symbol of some sort. Again, I didn't get it.

I didn't like Peter. At all! He's mean, arrogant, and abusive. He doesn't remember things. The other boys are scared of him, and go along with absolute craziness just to keep him happy.

Content:

"A**" is used several times. There was a great deal of killing and just in general "boy" stuff. There's also one line that might be a little inappropriate with today's meaning of a certain word. At least for young children, especially very conservative families, I'd recommend reading this book first before handing it over. I'm not saying don't hand it over, just make sure you're comfortable with it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Peter Pan.