Megankellie's Reviews > The Power of Positive Thinking

The Power of Positive Thinking by Norman Vincent Peale

Feb 21, 12

bookshelves: holier-than-thou, existentialcrisis, genderageidentity, cantdoitcantfinish
Read from January 18 to February 21, 2012

I picked this up because I liked what I read in the bookstore, it was Christmas/EmotionalShitstorm, and New York had violently robbed me of hope. This book entirely changed Phyllis Diller's life and I love Phyllis Diller. I am very sad to say I could not get into it and felt like the undercurrent was "I think you're a moron" and "I think you have no actual experience of humans." He'd say like "This guy was sad. I told this guy to say bible verse X. He did. He is no longer sad." I personally enjoy the nitty gritty details which make it believeable. For example "in the middle of the night, she was positive someone shined a flashlight into her window with the express purpose of a murder since it was Europe and everyone loves the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, even though her window was 14 feet from the ground, there is a crime rate of -10%, and the average per capita income was over $350,000. She secretly still believes this is real. I told her to read my book, throw it away, pick it up, throw it away, pick it up, throw it away, say it was stupid and condescending, pick it up, throw it away, memorize some friendly bible verses anyway, and then go see some nature." I guess it turns out life is subjective which is bullshit and not fair but also fine and probably better since I am not Head Fascist, which is too bad but probably better.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Power of Positive Thinking.

01/18/2012 "currently half-ass reading."