Vicky (Books, Biscuits, and Tea)'s Reviews > Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Aug 10, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, for-review, read-in-2012
Read in August, 2012

Originally reviewed at: http://www.booksbiscuitsandtea.co.uk/...

Miss Peregrine’s Home For Peculiar Children has been on my wishlist for quite a long time so when I was contacted by the publisher and was sent a review copy, I couldn’t wait to get started. What made me want to pick it up in the first place was the fact that it’s so different from everything else out there. It’s illustrated with vintage photographs of peculiar children who might seem really creepy at first but their presence makes perfect sense once you’re reading the story. To be honest, I sort of expected something darker but it turned out to be completely different. It’s rather a mysterious adventure than a creepy horror story – but unputdownable all the same.

The first part of the novel is set in the United States – Jacob tells the story of his childhood and the stories his grandfather used to tell him when he was a kid. Stories about a levitating girl, an invisible boy, a boy who was able to lift a boulder, and bizarre tales about monsters who were after him – and of course, no one believed him. Jacob’s grandpa was actually one of my favourite characters from the book. I loved the fact that even Jacob didn’t believe him initially. Then, as he sets out on a journey to Wales in order to uncover the truth and he reveals some vital secrets, he gradually realises how wrong he’d been. And not only did his grandpa have to live in a world where he could never feel safe, he had to live with the fact that no one (including his family) would believe him. I felt really sorry for him.

With Jacob leaving Florida, there comes a shift in the story. Just like the weather which goes from bright and sunny to cold and rainy, the story’s atmosphere turns sinister and quite haunting as well. From a suburban family drama we’re transported into a whole new world – a world full of secrets, a world where bizarre creatures and levitating children do exist. For us readers, this second half of the novel seems to be like marmite – you either love it, or you hate it. I’ve heard several people say they didn’t like this shift in the story and the fact that it’s so different from how the story started out. And I do agree with them to a certain extent – it is different. It really is. But I think the tricky part is to keep in mind that it’s all fiction. Forget that the book started out like an everyday story about an everyday high school boy – it’s fantasy. And it did work for me.

The only thing I didn’t particularly like was how easily Jacob gives up his whole life and says goodbye to his family in the second half of the novel. The fact that he doesn’t really hesitate or worry about the consequences of his decision but sticks with those people whom he met only a few days previously was the only thing that I found highly unrealistic (even for fantasy). Having said that, it really is a gripping story.

Miss Peregrine’s Home For Peculiar Children is a must-have for young-adults and adults alike. It’s something that will make you want to keep on reading late at night and something that will no doubt stay with you for a long time. I can’t wait to see how the story continues!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.

08/03/2012 page 101
08/04/2012 page 244
69.0% 3 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Heidi this is a fun one!

Vicky (Books, Biscuits, and Tea) Can't wait to read it, I've heard so many great things about it :)

Jenn ~ Nemirdis I've been wanting to read this one!

Eustacia Tan I loved this book!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I can't wait to pick this one up! How is itttt? :D

Vicky (Books, Biscuits, and Tea) I finished it a few days ago so my review will be up soon! :D *not going to give anything away*

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

-.- Evul! LOL

Vicky (Books, Biscuits, and Tea) Aaand *drumroll* my review is up, ladies :D http://www.booksbiscuitsandtea.co.uk/...

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

*does the happy dance*

message 10: by Akeyla (new) - added it

Akeyla Excited to read this!!!!

Ashley (For the Love of the Page) I agree.. the part where Jacob is just like, "I'll stay." Doesn't cry when he's leaving his fatjer.. and I think the thing that almost hurt my feelings was when he says, "I'll stay. There's nothing there for me anymore." or something along those lines. I thought, you ungrateful little turd, but eh.. that was just my reaction.