Abi's Reviews > The Lost Boy

The Lost Boy by Dave Pelzer

Jan 18, 12

bookshelves: memoir-bio-true, youngadultreads
Read in January, 2012

The sequel to A Child Called "It", this book tells the story of Dave Pelzer's boyhood in foster care.

By writing this first person account of what it's like to try to reenter the real world after surviving the 3rd worst abuse case in California (ever), Pelzer demonstrates that escaping from abuse is really only the beginning of the journey. The book is about the process of moving past that: learning to be a child, an adult; finding love and acceptance, from ones self and from others.

Although the writing style is similar to the last book, I found this book more nuanced, moving, and thought-provoking. I also learned a lot about the foster care system.

While I am still frustrated by Pelzer's obsession with italicizing pronouns, seeing the bridge between the horribly mistreated child he was and the effective man he is now brought out my empathy in a whole new way.

If you want to read a simple, first person account of surviving atrocities and working towards self-actualization, I do recommend this book. Pelzer's unpolished style is a part of what makes this book ring as true as it is.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Boy.