Tommy's Reviews > Of Love and Evil

Of Love and Evil by Anne Rice

Jan 21, 2012

Read from January 18 to 20, 2012

I liked this better than the first book in this "Songs of the Seraphim" series. Even though it's obviously very heavy on religion and Catholicism in particular, I just love the way Anne writes. Her narrative style grabs my attention and won't let go. I love watching her speak in interviews, no matter what she's speaking about, and I guess the same thing sort of applies to her fiction. She's highly intelligent, and no one writes about the big mysteries of life with the same depth and intensity. In this book, even more than the first in the series, she introduces some fascinating grey areas. It's interesting that even though the protagonist's faith is unwavering, the reader is presented with serious cause for doubt. I would never read something this religious by any other author! Because of the introduction in this book of a certain being that creates doubt, I couldn't help but wonder if Anne wrote this book during the time she was beginning to turn away (again) from the Catholic Church. I would definitely read the next book in this series, but I'm still unsure about tackling her "Life of Jesus" series. Oh- and one more thing. You could definitely make a case for Toby O'Dare not being entirely believable as a 21st Century young heterosexual man because of the antiquated way he speaks and his overwrought emotional nature. Some of his dialogue is pretty absurd, actually. But I like it anyway. And he cries a lot. In my mind I hear Anne's voice narrating Toby's thoughts and dialogue, but I will insist that this makes him no less real a character to me. I think Anne has a great many fully-realized and autonomous characters living in her head, and she channels them into her fiction.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Of Love and Evil.