July's Reviews > Meet Me at the Cupcake Café

bookshelves: 16-books
Recommended to July by: myself
Recommended for: Girls and Women
Read from February 19 to March 12, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I just finished "Meet me at the cupcake cafe" about half an hour ago while sitting in the train home from work. I think, it's a really good book to read while sitting in the train. You can interrupt quickly if you need to get out and you can start again at the top of the page when you sit in the train again. That's how I did it over the last weeks. Every morning to work: book, every evening back home: book. Because of an 30 minutes ride I always made a good progress in reading.

Now about the book; that's relatively simple: It's lovely.
Okay, that's what I told people as well about "Julie & Julia" when the movie arrived in theatres about 3 years ago and I went in to see how it is. But it IS lovely, actually. Everything is described in such a detailed way and you get into the story very easily.
I wouldn't recommened it to people who want a straight way from the beginning to end and not as well to people who don't like to know the end of the book before the main character knows. As that is what it's like sometimes.
I liked it when I got to the second chapter (the first chapter was difficult for me to understand somehow mainly because I wasn't into the language).
I wouldn't say it's one of the best books I've ever read, but it's definitely a book I would read again. The topic Jenny Colgan is writing about is wonderful and I promise you: you want to open a cupcake cafe on your own when Issy first opens up her cafe and describes all the wonderful things inside! You get really inspired by all these recipes in the book and would like to bake these immediately.

Of course there's love in the book and Issy holds up the tension in changing her partners anytime you think: okay, this is the right one for her. In the end she decides completely right (my opinion). It's the best for her, worrying about her not-too-old-but-she-thinks-it's-old age of 33 (or 34 don't know it exactly anymore) and everything that is connected to these worries, holding her cupcake cafe...

It is a lovely book for people who want to read something lovely, who want to smile over things that Issy and her friends do, who want to dream the dream of having an own business, like a cupcake cafe.

Definitely worth reading!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Meet Me at the Cupcake Café.

02/20/2012 page 10
2.0% "Pretty like it so far, though I sometimes have my problems understanding her^^"
02/22/2012 page 28
6.0% ":) gonna try out the cupcake recipes at the weekend :)"
02/23/2012 page 56
11.0% "<3"
02/24/2012 page 82
17.0% "I really love this book! I seriously start thinking about opening a cupcake cafe myself! :D"
02/28/2012 page 103
21.0% "In my eyes, Graeme is such an idiot!"
02/29/2012 page 180
36.0% "Yeeeeeeah! She opened it and the way that Jenny Colgan describes the cafe is absolutely amazing! I would so love to have something like that on my own ;)"
03/01/2012 page 211
43.0% "...I'm still reading and I can write much :)"
03/05/2012 page 245
49.0% "smiling all the way while reading :)"
03/06/2012 page 302
61.0% "Issy's birthday :)"
03/07/2012 page 316
64.0% "I wouldn't have bought the green dress. I mean... green? really?"
03/08/2012 page 356
72.0% "oh this damn Greame! I hate this guy!!!"
03/10/2012 page 425
86.0% "Okay this was forseeable. No Austin (which I definitely don't like. I would take him immediately) and - thank god - no Graeme. He is the world's biggest asshole I've ever read of! I have a mini-clue of how the book is going to end... let's read furthr :)"