Krazybooklady's Reviews > Starters

Starters by Lissa Price

Jan 18, 2012

Read from February 28 to 29, 2012

3.5 stars Since I can't choose 3.5 stars, I am rounding up to 4 since I do think it is better than a 3.

Callie is an orphan who is taking care of her younger brother, who is sick. Her parents, as well as most adults, died during the spore wars. The only ones who didn't die were the very young and the very old because they were the ones seen as being the most vulnerable so they received immunizations. Callie isn't old enough to work because of a law that says anyone under 19 cannot do so, and they have no other family to "claim" them, so they end up surviving on the streets to avoid being placed in one of the terrible institutions where most unclaimed minors end up. The very old are referred to as Enders, and they have all the money and power. Enders go to Prime Destinations (or the "body bank") to rent the body of a teenager so they can experience a day, a week, a month as if they are young again. Callie goes to the body bank as a last resort to try to make things better for her younger brother. She thinks that after she does three rentals, she will be able to walk away and will have enough money to get them a house. On her third rental, something goes wrong with the chip that has been implanted inside her. She is inside her body, not the Ender that has rented her, but she is living the Ender's life. As she unravels what went wrong, she realizes that the body bank's plans are more sinister than she realized, and she must fight to save herself, her brother, and the other young orphans like her.

The cover of Starters is what initially caught my attention, but I was also intrigued by the plot. Unfortunately, it seemed that the plot details were just riddled with problems. If you can get over that and allow yourself to be pulled into the story, it does keep you engaged and moves along rather smoothly with big events happening at appropriate intervals to keep it from dragging. The suspense is the best part, and you will want to keep reading to find out what happens to Callie and what is really going on with the body bank. I was not overly thrilled that Callie so quickly falls in love with a boy she meets in a bar while she is still maintaining the facade of her rental going smoothly, especially since she is obviously in love with her friend, Michael, who helps them survive on the streets. I also was somewhat disappointed by the ending. I felt that everything just wrapped up too quickly and too conveniently with regards to the body bank and the people who ran it. However, the last couple of pages pulled me back in enough to want to read the next one in the series to find out what is going to happen. Ultimately, for me, what I was expecting from this book based on the blurb and tagline just wasn't pulled off; however, if you enjoy dystopian thrillers and can easily lose yourself in the fantasy and suspense, then you may enjoy Starters.

A copy was provided by the publisher for review.

This review is reprinted from my blog Krazy Book Lady.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Starters.