Duchess Nicole's Reviews > Fire and Ice

2204947
Jan 31, 12

bookshelves: e-pcs, genre-erotica, genre-contemp-romance, read-in-2012
Read from January 30 to 31, 2012

I’m really confused. From the synopsis, I thought this would be a sexy, short read about a Domme with issues that her hot neighbor helps her overcome. Instead, there is a two page intro to Marissa’s life as a Domme, and then she turns into this confused beeyotch who hates all men, has a really bad past, and starts taking it out on the three and five year old kids next door. So just when it started to feel like an emotional mess, I started to feel like I was at a redneck bachelor party. This woman sure knows trashy talk. And it’s not the man with the potty mouth, it’s the woman. F*** this and my p***y that and wet stuff all over the place. It’s fine if the story is meant to have the feel of dirty talking erotic banter. But matched up with the sweet little boys and the emerging maternal feelings of Marissa, it felt decidedly awkward.

I would have loved the story as a full length contemporary romance novel. The author could have elaborated on the lives of both Marissa and Dirk, given it a more personal feel, and cut out the raunch talk. Instead, I felt like I was jumping around from light erotica to sweet contemporary romance to deeply emotional chick lit. Any of them by themselves would have worked. Throw them all together, and it just felt confusing and messy. And I LIKE dirty talk. The sex scenes weren’t even that graphic, it just all seemed to come out of Marissa’s brain or mouth. But for one reason or another, it felt awkward and out of place, to the point of being inappropriate. Example: in the middle of a little hug and kiss, the three year old boy says that he want a kiss from Mari, too. So she gives him a snuggle, and it’s a wonderful moment when Daddy steps back and starts thinking about “decorating her with a pearl necklace.“ WHAT!? Talk about ruining the moment!

And the ending just ruined it for me. It was so unbelievable that I laughed. There were a couple of “that would never happen” moments, like when the babysitter’s daughter is rushed to the hospital, so she brings the kids to the neighbor lady and just leaves them there. No permission from Dad, no knowledge of the lady, nothing. These situations just didn’t seem very well thought out. And I really think that with a little forethought and less shock factor, that this could have been a moving, touching romance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fire and Ice.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) That sounds like a very unwieldy mix of themes!

Duchess Nicole Yeah, it was weird. It was short, though, so not too much time wasted.