Kate's Reviews > The Stubborn Dead

Jan 18, 12

bookshelves: supernatural
Read in January, 2012

Bite-sized Review
The Stubborn Dead was an intriguing debut. While it was a bit short for the amount of content it had, I definitely want to read more of this series.

King-sized Review
The Supernatural reference in the dedication set the perfect tone for this novella. There were definite similarities, though easily enough differences to make The Stubborn Dead clearly its own entity, and fans of the TV show will probably enjoy this story.

Rachel has the potential to be quite an interesting character. Although it's a bit short, there are hints in The Stubborn Dead of her past and of mysteries to come. There wasn't a whole lot of development in this one, presumably because most of the limited space had to be dedicated to the story itself and not the characters.

I really like the concept of this book. The Order of Rescue Mediums, while not entirely unique, was different enough to be intriguing, particularly with the tidbits of family secrets. The plot itself was good, though abrupt. While there were a couple of times I was confused (most memorably when I spent a couple of pages wondering who a new character was talking to before realizing it was himself), overall I enjoyed the style of this third-person narrative.

The length was the biggest drawback to this work. The Stubborn Dead easily had enough content for a novel rather than a novella, and I think the addition of a couple hundred pages would have been more satisfying. As it was, I barely started to feel the suspense before it was over, which was a bit disappointing. Books don't grip me that way all that often, and it was a shame that such a thrilling story was over so quickly.

However, I enjoyed this book and I will definitely be looking for more from this series.

For recommendations and detailed ratings, check out the blog post at Epic (Chocolate) Fantasy.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stubborn Dead.