Tabitha (Bows & Bullets Reviews)'s Reviews > The Alchemy of Forever

The Alchemy of Forever by Avery Williams

Dec 02, 13

bookshelves: pulse-it, cliffhanger, digital-reads, young-adult, reincarnation, paranormal, love-triangle, reviewed
Recommended for: People who like horrid endings.
Read from January 18 to 19, 2012, read count: 1

** spoiler alert **
The review is also available on my blog, Bows & Bullets Reviews

I hated this. If I was reading this in a physical form instead of digital, I probably would have thrown the damn thing out the window and set the damned thing on fire.

I was iffy going into it but I read a few glowing reviews and thought I would give it a shot....I wish I wouldn't have. I wish I would have went with my gut instinct and stayed far fucking away. I thought the majority of this book was tolerable, even enjoyed bits of it. I loved Noah and Charlotte. I like the world it was in and the idea of the incarnates. But that ending ruined any chance this book had to even get a 2 star rating. It I could rate negative stars, I would.

What, you ask, can be so bad that I will refuse to read the sequel even though I have very big need to finish all the series I start even if they suck? She kills Noah. DEAD. At the very end, after Seraphina (I love her name) thinks everything is okay and she'll get her happily ever after, she learns that Cyrus isn't actually dead, but instead he took Noah's body. Now in another book this may mean that Noah is just suppressed, but not in this one. Avery Williams spends a good deal of time explaining that to take over a body, you must first get the original soul out of it. Therefore Noah is fucking dead.

No...that's all I really have to say about the sequel. I do not want waste my time reading while Ms Williams paints herself out of a corner. Hell no. FUCK NO. Just plain old N-O.

EDIT: Someone has pointed out a legitimate possible way Noah is alive to me, therefore, I *MIGHT* read the sequel if Noah isn't dead. So, anyone who has read my ranting review who reads the sequel, please let me know if it is worthy of my efforts. Thanks!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Alchemy of Forever.

01/18/2012 page 11
01/18/2012 page 90
35.0% "Thus far, I abhor Cyrus. He was tolerable in the first chapter but now I want him to die slowly and painfully."
01/18/2012 page 93
36.0% "Or worse, maybe she already tweeted a pickture of it, along with a post about how someone in Jack London Sqauare gave a teenage girl CPR, then turned to dust, giving Cyrus a roadmap to find me in 140 characters or less."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Dover well then. nice review. lol.

Tabitha (Bows & Bullets Reviews) Thank you! I am still pissed at this. I think I'm angry enough to just not start a new book today for fear it'll suck like this one did.

Carie Do we know he's gone for sure? Seemed like a big unknown at the end to me--which is completely annoying, but I still have some hope for him to be okay...

Tabitha (Bows & Bullets Reviews) In my mind, he is. To my understanding, you have to coax the previous soul out before you can enter, so yes, I'm pretty positive he is dead. I am sure the author will come up with some bullshit excuse to bring him back, but I'm really not interested in it at all. I'm so sick of YA authors leaving me with horrid cliffhangers and I refuse to support yet another author who is this cruel to me.

Carie I completely agree with you about the stupid YA cliffhangers! And we honestly have to wait for a year for the sequel to this one?! Why does everything have to be a series anyway?! I'm still holding out hope for our guy, though. I think Cyrus could have jumped into somebody else and might just be messing with her. (Don't know if I can put up with her not getting the upper hand on him ASAP, though!!) Maybe Cyrus has his phone for some reason? Still seems fairly open-ended to me...

message 6: by Tabitha (Bows & Bullets Reviews) (last edited Jan 24, 2012 08:24AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Tabitha (Bows & Bullets Reviews) I know! I hate the cliffhangers...have you read Nevermore by Kelly Creagh? The cliffhanger for it is just as bad and the sequel release date is more like a year and a half after it. X_X. I agree that I'm kind of sick of series. So very little YA is standalone these days.

And I didn't think about the possibility that Cyrus could be in someone elses body and just have Noah's phone. That is a good possibility and I hope it's the truth because I really adore Noah and don't want him to be dead. I'll change my statement to I might read the sequel after reading spoilers to see if he is dead. So if you read the sequel right when it comes out, let me know if Noah is alive and if he is, I might give it a shot.

Carie Nevermore was one of my favorite books from 2010--except for that maddening ending (and that there wasn't more kissing ;) And, you're right, we've been waiting FOREVER for that sequel!!

I'll let you know about Noah (if I haven't completely forgotten about the whole plot by this time next year!). I really hope I'm right about him!! I actually don't want Cyrus to have jumped into ANY of Kailey's family or friends either, so I'm VERY worried... Hope he really was shot and killed--though HIGHLY unlikely. Down with Cyrus!!!

Tabitha (Bows & Bullets Reviews) Nevermore was awesome but that ending had me in tears. I hate the fact that it is a triology and that means book 2 will probably have a similar ending. I agree with the not enough kissing thing too. It is considered YA paranormal romance, so a few more kisses would be appreciated.

I really hope Noah isn't dead. I really like him and want him and Seraphina to get their happily ever after.

Kresha we had the same reaction when i read the ending. it just pisses me off how Noah could die just like that!

Tabitha (Bows & Bullets Reviews) I know! GRH. Killing off side characters is bad enough, but I can't tolerate the main ones dying.

Kresha have you read the sneak peek to book 2??
ghaadd..it made me so confused! i feel like i had to buy book 2 to know the answers..but i don't know if it'll be worth it!

Tabitha (Bows & Bullets Reviews) I haven't, but I keep seeing it everywhere, like it's mocking me. I want to know what happens next, but I just can't take another disappointment like that one. ;-;

Carie I'm still not convinced that he's really dead! Maybe it's stupid of me, but I'm still holding out hope that something else is going on here and there's another explanation for what happened at the end. I did pre-order book 2, so hopefully I don't regret it... I will be beyond angry if I'm wrong and he really is gone!!

Tabitha (Bows & Bullets Reviews) The summery for book 2 sounds like maybe he might be alive, but I just so worried that it will end just as terribly as book 1 that I can't bring myself to read it yet. If you do enjoy it, please let me know and I'll give it a shot!

Carie Do you know how many books are going to be in this series? Is book 2 the end, or will there be more? If more, it probably will have an awful ending! I'll let you know whether it's tolerable or not. Hopefully I don't end up hurling the book out a window or something ;)

Tabitha (Bows & Bullets Reviews) Honestly? I assume they'll be three because that's the trend right now, but Goodreads doesn't show a third book yet, so I may be wrong.

Pinky Salvanera he doesn't die you know.

Tabitha (Bows & Bullets Reviews) Really? That's good to know! I might give book 2 a go one day.