Jen3n's Reviews > The Weird Sisters

The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown

Feb 08, 12

bookshelves: literature

I liked this. Mostly. No, I DID, I was just really uncomfortable in sopme places, because I recognized a great deal of about the characters and their situation: an erudite family living in Ohio with scholarly asperations and only girl-children? No: that doesn't sound familiar at all. This fictional family in the book has three daughters, while my real-life family had only two, and no written character is ever exactly like one's self no matter how close one can relate, but I saw portions of myself in all three of the sisters and parts of my sister in them, too.

I also related to the relationships of the sisters as well as their characters. My sister and I have not been close since before puberty. And loving someone doesn't mean you have to like them, or maybe are even capable of it. But, in all the world, no matter how different you are or how much you do or do not like one another personally, your siblings are the only ones who will understand you instinctively. You both come from the same place. Were reared with the same langage and stories and lessons and habits. For better or for worse, that's the way it is.

I think that it's especially so for sisters. I am not saying that brothers do not have the capacity for it or the ability or are in any way deficient; I'm saying that, like the excellent novel [Book: Boy's Life] by Robert McCammon which can be enjoyed by either sex or any gender but probably loses something if the reader was never a nine year old boy, this book Weird Sisters would mean something slightly different to readers who grew up with a sister. If that makes sense.

The story of the novel itself is average: three sisters who have made a general mess of their lives for one reason or another converge on their childhood home at a small, exclusive, private college in Ohio (think Kenyon College for reference)to visit their Shakesperian-expert-professer father and dying-of-caner mother. Lessons are learned, reforms happen or don't, et cetera et cetera, la-di-dah into the sunset. *shrug*

What makes this book very special is the excellent writing, the unusual choice of a nameless, but first-person narrator who is all of and none of the sisters, the fully-formed characters, the total lack of an easy-out narratively speaking, and the very realistic sense of humor that runs through it. It's an intelligent book that has a great deal going for it. Even if you never has sisters.

Recommended. If you're into that sort of thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Weird Sisters.