Megan Haynes's Reviews > Ascending Into Euphoria: A Collection of Poetry

Ascending Into Euphoria by Tiffany Tinney

Feb 06, 12

bookshelves: i-own, signed-books
Recommended for: anyone; very accessible.
Read on February 04, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Won this on Goodreads First Reads giveaways! :)
Okay, I like that this was such an easy read - took me 15-20 minutes tops to finish the entire book, with breaks.

*I want to preface this next paragraph with: I HAVE NO IDEA OF HER SITUATION WHEN WRITING THESE POEMS. I don't really have any authority to call her poems shallow, great, or any kind of adjective because I don't know her and I've never walked in her shoes. I'm just giving you my opinion of how they came across to me, personally:
*A lot of the poems were realy shallow to me. For example, in, "Today Is My Birthday" she complains how she only got two presents and only got three cards. It kind of annoyed me. I realize that she was like fourteen in some of these poems, but seriously, she complained about some things that just made me shake my head and think that her life must be a cakewalk; Only getting two presents on your birthday = worst day of your life? Also, I hated the poem called "The Life I've Never Known" -- I found it to be completely...just...I don't really know the word. #firstworldproblems. (Also, I hate the way she blames her dad in that poem - from what it sounds like, he seems to be a good guy, and when you have a good dad, you have to treat him right. JS, they're hard to come by.)

Nevertheless, I enjoyed many poems: "Spring Haiku", "Autumn Haiku", "Uncivilized" (my personal favorite! c: ), and "My Choice". Hey, you'll finish it in ten minutes: give it a shot. However, if this book costs more than like $5 at the most, I wouldn't buy it -- it's too short and the content isn't like "omg-I-have-to-read-this-it's-amazing" etc.

In some of the poems, I think if the author would have better control of / use better words, they'd be brilliant! :) I think she has talent and should definitely keep writing. These poems kind of tell a story of her life and I like that. I feel like I understand some of the problems she discussed, as well like weight, rejection, lonliness, etc.

So, yeah, overall? 2 stars.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ascending Into Euphoria.