Ronyell's Reviews > When I Wore My Sailor Suit

When I Wore My Sailor Suit by Uri Shulevitz

Jan 22, 12

bookshelves: 1st-person-pov, uri-shulevitz, goodreads-group-reads
Recommended for: Children who love good imaginations!
Read in January, 2012

I have read many children’s books that dealt with a child imagining themselves into a place where they have wild adventures (Where the Wild Things Are comes to mind) and I have enjoyed every single one! “When I Wore My Sailor Suit” is a children’s book written by Uri Shulevitz, who also illustrated The Fool of the World and the Flying Ship: A Russian Tale and it details the adventures that a young boy has while he was a sailor. “When I Wore My Sailor Suit” is a truly memorable book for children who love adventures!

The book starts off with a young boy who puts on a sailor suit, a sailor hat and his sailor whistle so he could go off on an adventure. His mother gives him an apple and a cookie to take for provisions and he goes upstairs to the Mintzes’ apartment and goes inside their room to play. Once the boy spots a ship on the dresser, he puts the ship on the floor and starts his journey!

When I read this book, I keep thinking about Maurice Sendak’s classic Where the Wild Things Are, especially during the scene where the young boy sails over the ocean and gets caught up in a storm. There are so many similarities between “Where the Wild Things Are” and this book, “When I Wore My Sailor Suit” and I enjoyed the imaginative aspects of both stories where both characters imagined themselves into another world. In this book however, Uri Shulevitz has done an excellent job at both writing and illustrating this story about a young boy imagining all of his adventures in his neighbor’s apartment. Uri Shulevitz’s writing is extremely cute and memorable since it strongly relates to how many children enjoying imagining themselves into a new world unlike the world they are living in right now. I loved reading about the boy’s adventures from sailing across the ocean to trying to conquer his fears over a scary looking painting. I remembered my fears of scary looking paintings when I was small, but now, I really enjoy looking at disturbing images (sometimes). It was also amazing in knowing that this story was based on Uri Shulevitz’s own childhood during World War II, which is further explained in his other picture book How I Learned Geography Uri Shulevitz’s illustrations are just so beautiful and colorful and they greatly complement the adventures that the boy goes on in his imagination. My favorite image was of the young boy trying to overcome his fear of a frightening looking painting that has a pale face man that has a long mustache and a blue hat and is always staring at the boy in a frightening manner.

Overall, “When I Wore My Sailor Suit” is a truly memorable story about the power of imagination and about conquering your fears and children every where will enjoy this story for many years to come! I would recommend this book to children ages four and up since the writing is simple and there is nothing inappropriate in this story, unless the image of the scary looking man in the picture might frighten younger children.

4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When I Wore My Sailor Suit.

Gundula I noticed the similarities to Sendak as well. I would have loved this book as a child and I think it would have helped me not to be afraid of pictures and objects I found strange and uncanny.

Ronyell Gundula wrote: "I noticed the similarities to Sendak as well. I would have loved this book as a child and I think it would have helped me not to be afraid of pictures and objects I found strange and uncanny."

Me too! I kind of wish I read this book when I was little so I could have conquered my fears of odd and scary images, but Where the Wild Things Are was also a great read for me as a child.