Moonlight Gleam's Reviews > That Thing at the Zoo

That Thing at the Zoo by James R. Tuck

Jan 29, 12

Read on January 17, 2012

What would you do if you discovered that monsters really do exist? What if they hunted down and slaughtered your family and you had the power to take your revenge? Would you take it? As Deacon Chalk would put it... I sure as hell would…

After several animals are slaughtered at the Atlanta Zoo, Deacon Chalk is called in to take care of the job. However intimidating and indestructible Deacon seems to be he can’t do it alone. Deacon receives the help of the zookeeper and his team made up of strippers, a priest, and the club manager. Don’t be fooled, this team has one goal in mind and will ensure that they accomplish it, to search and destroy all the scary things that go bump in the night…

That Thing at the Zoo prequel novella presents badass monster hunter Deacon Chalk who swears to destroy all things paranormal. Deacon possesses some special abilities that help him carry out his mission. The full extent of his abilities are still a mystery and their origin has not yet been revealed to readers. Although Deacon is described to be this badass, the loss of his family has largely impacted Deacon’s emotions. Their memories threaten to break Deacon down and have him lose control each time he faces danger.

That Thing at the Zoo is written in Deacon Chalk’s perspective, sharing his every thought, which allows readers to better connect with this main character. James R. Tuck’s writing style is very descriptive, giving readers a vivid image of the characters, the battles between good and evil, and all the things Deacon encounters throughout his journey.

I have definitely been captivated by this world that James R. Tuck has created. There is so much to say about this short novella but I will end my review with saying this, what a terrific start to an awesome series by this debut author. Dark urban fantasy lovers will definitely love this!

This novella is a brief introduction as to what to expect in James R. Tuck’s upcoming debut release Blood and Bullets. I recommend That Thing at the Zoo too all those who enjoy gritty Urban Fantasy and Adult Fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read That Thing at the Zoo.