Morgan's Reviews > Batman: Year One

Batman by Frank Miller

Jun 02, 10

bookshelves: graphic-novels, bathroom-books
Read from May 30 to June 02, 2010 , read count: 1

I was surprised at how much of the story followed Gordon instead of Batman, and what little of the Batman backstory was given was all previously known material, almost as if Miller felt like he couldn't (or shouldn't, maybe) touch it, and that no more needed to be said. So instead what's given on Batman's side is the interior monologues and anxieties of a man who's just learning the ropes of vigilante-ism. Not that this is entirely a bad thing, but it leaves the great "Ah-ha!" moment of when he decides to don a bat costume a bit lackluster: "Oh, a bat! I remember once being scared by a bat, so I'll be a bat!" So if it's Batman character development you want, I'll refer you to the first Christian Bale/Christopher Nolan Batman movie (which, yes, I saw that one first too).

But holy Jim Gordon, Batman! If you want to know about Gordon (and even he keeps his secrets in this), read the book.

Also, the artwork is amazing. David Mazzucchelli and Richmond Lewis do an amazing job rendering the Bat and the not-yet-Commish (and the burgeoning Cat); it's dark, it's edgy, it's powerful.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Batman.