Daniel Vlasaty's Reviews > Every Shallow Cut

Every Shallow Cut by Tom Piccirilli

Jan 20, 12

Read on January 20, 2012

I could not stop reading this book. It was short enough to be read in almost one sitting, but I was sneakily reading it at work, so it took me a little longer than it might have otherwise. This novella is powerful. It is a story of desperation, of a man that has lost everything and just wants to go home again. I can feel that this story is going to stay with me for a while.

The nameless narrator is a failed writer. His books are being sold in thrift shops for quarters, and they’re still not selling. His wife has left him for another man. And the bank has taken his house. He has his dog – and only friend – and his car. After selling all of his other possession to a pawn broker he decides to drive across the country to visit his brother. They have not seen each other in a long time.

The narrator of this story could be anyone. Me or you or that guy sitting next to you on the train this morning. It captures our economy perfectly. Everywhere houses are in foreclosure, businesses are at risk of going under. All of it takes a toll on an already weak marriage. The narrator’s mantra is “I don’t know,” and he doesn’t. He doesn’t know where he is going or what he is doing. He is on the edge of a breakdown and he doesn’t even know.

Highly recommended for fans of realistic, gritty stories that may or may not leave you feeling depressed afterward.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Shallow Cut.