Claire's Reviews > The Game

F_50x66
Jan 18, 13

bookshelves: mystery
Read from January 16 to 18, 2013

(Review written on 2nd reading)

In The Game, Russell and Holmes undertake a voyage to India (at the request of Mycroft Holmes) to look into the mystery of a missing Intelligence agent. The agent who is missing is based on the Rudyard Kipling character "Kim"; since I'm not at all familiar with Kipling's novel, I can't comment on the credibility of King creating an adult version of Kim to use in this story.

One of the things that stands out - in a good way - about King's style in the series overall, and is really well-done in this book, is the way King has the reader spend time on the road with Russell and Holmes while they're traveling. Whereas other authors might settle for a few paragraphs of "such and such characters spent a week on the road in India going from Place 1 to Place 2," King had the reader travel with Russell and Holmes. The result is a vivid picture of the world Russell and Holmes are in, and how they adapt to fit their surroundings. It also gives King a chance to flesh out the main characters a bit at a time.

I can't say the overall plot of this book appealed to me; at the same time, it's a well-written novel. The mystery itself is ok. I think this is one of the books in the series that you're reading more for the characters and the sub-plots than for the mystery. (I felt this way about A Monstrous Regiment of Women also - good story in general, good character development, but not the most clever mystery in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Game.