Noni's Reviews > The Chronicles of Prydain Boxed Set

The Chronicles of Prydain Boxed Set by Lloyd Alexander

Feb 11, 12

Read in February, 2012

I just finished reading the whole 5 books in sequence. Each book itself is not long. One book contains between 100-200 pages only. But the journey inside the land of Prydain was certainly a long one.

It began with The Book of Three, where Taran was still a teenage boy, eager to see the world, to become a hero, with his prideful attitude. Along the way, in The Black Cauldron, The Castle of Llyr, Taran Wanderer, with all the journeys and events, Taran grew up to become a man, kind, compassionate, and humble. And it ended in The High King, where Taran finally chose the tougher choice, and thus, fulfilled the prophecy.

I like the chronicles, because of its simple plot, and yet, deep in life values lesson. Noble character, didn’t just build into a person when he was born, but because of the choices made during one’s journey through life. And through every journey in the books, the characters grew these noble life values.

But the books’ language wasn’t always heavy. In fact, there were many funny remarks, and witty bantering, coming from Fflewddur Flam, the Bard, and Eilonwy, the princess of Llyr. Don’t be misled, though, all the witty and funny remarks, are also part of a whole deep life lessons, when one takes time to do the munching and crunching, as Gurgi would say. I was sad when their journey ended.

This is the kind of book, that I would reread many times over later, as the characters already felt like old friends, and their life lessons are necessary to nurture me. My thanks to Mr. Alexander who had written such a beautiful journey into books.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Chronicles of Prydain Boxed Set.