Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker 's Reviews > Gilt

Gilt by Katherine Longshore

May 06, 12

Read from April 09 to 10, 2012

Gilt is so perfectly named. It was my guilty pleasure. I know this is weird (and when have I not been weird) but it reminded me of my favorite pizza. Whenever I want to be lazy (which is often), and not take the time to get out the ingredients, slice and dice, and cook dinner, I get this wonderful pizza from down the street. And I love it. It is so much easier than making dinner. And really, it probably tastes better.

Gilt was my favorite pizza. It is the lazy person’s historical fiction but in the end, it is just as good as the real thing. Do I feel guilty for liking it this much? Maybe just a tad bit. Why? The book is full of modern language even though the setting is far from modern. Some of the characters lived in our history books but I do not know if they were accurately represented in this book (nor do I care). Gilt may not be the perfect book to represent the historical era portrayed in the book, but it was the perfect book for me at the right time. And just like my favorite pizza, I consumed this book.

If you’ve never read a historical fiction novel, or you’ve always been intimidated by the language used in historical fiction, this book might be the perfect book for you to break into an entirely new genre.

Overall

Sometimes a book is great not because it’s the best in its genre but just because it was right for you at the right time. Gilt was my guilty pleasure and I’m glad I had a chance to read it.

3.5 out of 5 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gilt.

04/09/2012
18.0% "Wow. I sure got sucked quickly into this book. So far, excellent." 2 comments
04/10/2012
40.0% "Even knowing the outcome of this story, this book is addicting."
04/10/2012
69.0% "even with some modern language in the book (oops), I'm still hopelessly addicted. I find myself addicted to Kitty's soap opera-ish problems. She really is stuck. Betray a friend that isn't really a friend, or betray the Court and lose your head. I guess it really isn't a choice when you prefer your head upon your neck!" 2 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wendy Darling (new)

Wendy Darling Really! *perks up*

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker Kate wrote: "yesssssssss! i kept an eye on your statuses all day and just hoped you'd like it all the way through"

Wendy Darling wrote: "Really! *perks up*"

I loved it. It was plenty of fun.

Bonnie Yay! I'll be picking this one up soon. Glad to hear you enjoyed it. :)

message 5: by Chelsea (new) - added it

Chelsea How did you get to read this early?

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker Chelsea wrote: "How did you get to read this early?"
netgalley

message 7: by Leslie (new) - added it

Leslie Nice review, Michelle! This one's a little high priced for an ebook, ($10.99 for Kindle..yikes!!), although I have a passion for this era specifically, therefore, I may have to indulge! Hey, my birthday is coming up. May have to fatten my Kindle in early June! ;)