Antonomasia's Reviews > Agent Provocateur Secrets

Agent Provocateur Secrets by Agent Provocateur

Jan 20, 12

bookshelves: erotica, 2012
Read on January 20, 2012, read count: 1

[2.5] I only read this because I'd owned it and ignored it for years and decided it was time to work through some of these unread books.
And I was - eventually - pleasantly surprised.

It was odd that the first two stories had male narrators who were a bit grubby and not particularly nice people; it didn't set a good tone, but the subsequent pieces were mostly more female focused.

However, the collection is sadly lacking in female protagonists who take the lead in a vanilla sense or are dominant in a kinky sense. Whilst there are first-person narratives about female submissives who are actively desiring subjects enjoying themselves, for a general - rather than themed - collection, this book needed to have more of a balance.

Most of the stories take place in rather cliched scenarios such as work based affairs and first dates. Considered simply as pieces of writing they don't really rise above them and are not of a particularly high quality, but several work well as erotica. "A Taste of Honey" displayed the greatest such contrasts for me: the structure was woefully uneven and needed a full redraft, yet it swept me along as its beginning found the point where reality can tip into fantasy and the story was hot, somewhat suspenseful and stirring of emotions and memories.

Inevitably, as with many erotica collections, there were a couple of stories that were a little creepy or icky, but the majority are the sort of thing I would expect from Agent Provocateur: the sex was nothing too out of the ordinary by the standards of modern mainstream media, with some kink, and mostly tales of people with comfortable lives.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Agent Provocateur Secrets.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Antonomasia Aiming to read all the unread books I own of c.200 pages or fewer, however silly. This is the start.