Craig's Reviews > Creative Thinkering: Putting Your Imagination to Work

Feb 05, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: business
Read in February, 2012

Of the three Michael Michalko books I've read (Thinkertoys and Cracking Creativity), this was the least useful.

Michalko starts by expanding on the technique of association for generating ideas and spends much of the book on variations of this theme. This was the least useful portion of the book.

Michalko does later present two ideas that I found extremely useful:

1. Write a letter to your subconscious mind. After mulling over the problem for a period of time, write an extremely detailed letter to your mind asking it to solve the problem for you. Then days or weeks later, open the letter and see what your mind has come up with.

2. Ten minutes of stream of consciousness writing each day. I think in pictures and bullet lists, so stream of consciousness writing is difficult for me. Michalko makes the statement to write down anything - bullet points, words, sentence fragments, diagrams - anything that captures what you are thinking. Do this for five days, and then on day six review what you wrote or drew on the previous days. He states you will be surprised at the connections, insights and new ideas that will flood your mind.

All in all, this is not a bad read, but I would recommend starting with Michalko's other books as opposed to this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Creative Thinkering.