Alyssa's Reviews > Soulless

Soulless by Gail Carriger

Jan 17, 2012

bookshelves: best-heroines, steampunk, pnr, favorite-series, pnr-vampires, historical
Recommended for: People who love witty heroines
Read from January 31 to February 01, 2012

What a great read! Witty heroine, great love interest -- and best of all, no love triangle between a vampire-girl-werewolf (that I know of? I still have to read the other books in the series.)

In the Parasol Protectorate universe, there are supernaturals and preternaturals. They are divided into soulless (preternatural) and soul-excess, such as vampires and werewolves (supernatural). Our heroine, Miss. Alexia Tarabotti, is a soulless Italian spinster. And what a delightful one at that.

There is also the Bureau of Unnatural Registry (BUR), which is a type of law enforcement of the supernatural/preternatural sect. Our heroine's main love interest, Lord Conall Maccon, is a werewolf, the fourth Earl of Woolsey, and a member of BUR.

The main mystery of the novel is the disappearance of rogue vampire and lone wolves, as well as the appearance of unregistered supernaturals springing up around the area. Although Alexia Tarabotti is a woman from a good family (one that has little love for her, for the matter -- mostly due to her Italian blood), she wants to be more helpful. After all, she is a spinster getting on in age. As such, we get to watch the mystery of the missing supernaturals unfold.

This is a wonderful novel, and even if you don't like steampunk (as I had never read one before), you will find yourself enjoying this book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soulless.