J's Reviews > In the President's Secret Service: Behind the Scenes with Agents in the Line of Fire and the Presidents They Protect

In the President's Secret Service by Ronald Kessler

3191101
Jan 17, 12

Very interesting for non-fiction. I read it in one day.

Reading about the private lives of presidents was interesting, but it felt wrong to get the information confidentially from secret service agents. Even if I accept Kessler's premise that the public has a right to know about the private lives of politicians, I don't think they have a right to know it from the Secret Service. Those guys (and gals) need to keep their mouths shut. The truth can leak out from other sources. They shouldn't violate their mandates to keep work information private. Just like bank tellers and doctors are required to keep confidential information obtained through work secret, so should the Secret Service.

I skimmed through sections detailing security procedures and counter-attack strategies. These specifics held no interest for me. I also wondered if it was wise to publish them. Surely this presents some obvious security concerns. Perhaps Kessler's rants about Secret Service underfunding will result in pressure on Congress to supply more resources, or it will result in creating an attack plan for the next attacker ...

P.S. I'll believe the Obamas are actually nice to their underlings when they leave office and those stories still get "leaked". I doubt many people are crazy enought to squeal on a reigning president. And, Michelle Obama definately gives off Hilary Clinton vibes!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the President's Secret Service.