L-D's Reviews > Sword of the King

Sword of the King by Megan Derr

Apr 25, 12

bookshelves: m-m, possible-share, dragons, shifters-weres, urban-fantasy, magic-witches-mages, series
Read on April 22, 2012

Just less than 4 stars

This book started really strong for me and then it kind of went somewhere else. Not necessarily in a bad way, just in an unexpected way. Blaze is a pit fighter and he fights with his dragon Erie (Eros). He is working towards a life where he and Erie no longer have to fight and put Erie in danger. Erie is a very powerful flame dragon and Blaze is a natural "master". Together they make a formidable team. I expected this story to be about pit fighters, but there was really only one pit fight at the beginning and that was it. Then the story become much more complex.

We are next introduced to Ken and his dragon Nev. They are not pit fighters, but they are working towards freeing pit dragons. Then we meet Rafael and Conway. Conway is an ice dragon that belongs to Rafael's brother and pit boss, Leo but they clearly have feelings for each other. Finally we meet a new dragon, Cam, who has not yet shifted but seems more powerful than any dragon they've met before. Finally we meet Amr, the man who trained Blaze in the pits.

There are a lot of characters in this story and I can totally understand why some of the reviews I read did not enjoy this aspect of the book. Not only do masters and their dragons have relations, but they can also have relationships with other humans and their dragons will not get jealous. The number of MCs in the book did not bother me at all. I like it when books have many different robust characters. I will say it did bother me a bit that there was so much sex with the dragons and their masters. Since the dragons spoke in broken english and incomplete sentences, they felt more like children or pets to me and not equals. That's why I didn't really connect with the whole master/dragon sex concept. Or I would've been okay with it even if you find the dragon that is meant to be "your" dragon and you love and cherish your dragon enough to have sex with him. But then bringing in other people just gets a little too much for me.

Overall though, I did really enjoy the concept and I liked all the characters. I felt the characters were well developed and the book was definitely long enough to do that. The ending was a bit rushed to me. (view spoiler) There are a few niggles towards the end but I enjoyed it the book overall. I think when I first finished the book it was between 4 and 5 stars for me but as I sit and dwell on it, it becomes just less than 4 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sword of the King.