Melissa Ruhl's Reviews > Dying Inside

Dying Inside by Robert Silverberg
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dying Inside.

message 1: by Mkb (new)

Mkb Is it good? I loved Lord Valentine's Castle, but when I moved on to other RS books I was disappointed.

message 2: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa Ruhl I've read the first few chapters, but then life got busy. Hopefully, I'll get back to it soon. So far, it is very good.

Daniel Roy I personally loved this book. Great protagonist, if throrougly unlikeable.

message 4: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa Ruhl Sometimes it's really hard to get beyond an unlikeable protagonist though. I guess in my experience there has to be something compelling me towards reading other than the protagonist and I didn't really find that in the book. At first, I loved it because the language was soooo beautiful. But then he was just unlikeable and I didn't really find any other characters compelling and the world was meh. It's interesting that he was losing his ability to read minds, but it irritated me that he could read them in the first place, so I didn't find myself wanting to know about him losing it.

What did you like about it? If you can answer spoiler free :P

Daniel Roy Well, I found the protagonist to be fascinating. I've heard plenty of people saying they couldn't relate to him, but I did in some way. No, I didn't relate to him having a psychic power, or to being a bitter, cynical man. But I read it as a tale of what it means to have potential in youth, a talent, and see it wasted away. It almost feels like a cautionary tale to me.

I related to his pain of having wasted his life away, and with how bitter he became, as a form of cautionary tale for my own life.

Daniel Roy If you're curious, here's my own spoiler-free review, in which I articulated the above a bit better:

message 7: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa Ruhl oh boo. that link isn't working on my phone for some reason but I'll check it out tonight for sure!