Riley's Reviews > The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Jan 18, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, young-adult, book-club
Read from January 16 to 17, 2012

4.5 stars, really, but I round up for books that affect me emotionally, and this one did that in buckets. The problems I had with it were all forgivable (improbably witty dialogue, complete and utter lack of diversity, cardboard cutout adult characters) because the heart and mind of the book were so solid, so compelling, so rich and real.

Modifying Jodi Picoult's blurb for the book, I would say it's about 2 smart, wonderful teens who do their best to live, and love, even though they have one foot in the grave. (3 teens, if you count Isaac.)

The plot was simple but interesting. The relationships between all the characters were well-drawn. The parents in particular got to me, and at one point I had to close the book, put down my lunch, and just cry as I imagined how impossibly heartbreaking it would be to have a child with cancer. The writing was evocative and expressive while maintaining an authentic teenage voice. (That said, Hazel *occasionally* felt not-very-female to me. But only once or twice. Again, forgivable.) The philosophical discussions and themes were thought-provoking.

In short, this was the first John Green book I've read, but I'm sure it won't be the last.