Patrick's Reviews > Glamour in Glass

Glamour in Glass by Mary Robinette Kowal

Jan 17, 2012

Read in January, 2012

This book was rather outside my usual reading habits, not to mention my outside my usual historical time frame. Generally speaking, if it happened between 1750 and 1980, I'm not terribly interested.

That said, I really enjoyed this. Kowal does a startlingly good job of presenting a mindset that is very alien to me, specifically, that of a woman mired in upper class British social mores of the early 1800's.

The language was delightfully in keeping with the time period, while not being needlessly cumbersome and opaque. The story and characterization were lovely, and I enjoyed the worldbuilding, too. I also liked seeing a strong female character that was still very much a part (and product) of the painfully misogynistic culture she was raised in. That's a fine line to walk in a story.

I'm hesitant to give it a star rating because I'm so utterly unfamiliar with this particular genre. I really enjoyed it, but I really have no basis for comparison as I've never read another book like it.

Then again, that newness itself is a mark of distinction. So I think I'll go with my gut and give this one five stars. Good language, fresh story, an interesting world, and a great main character with a great voice. Yeah. That's worth five stars....

58 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Glamour in Glass.

02/22 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-10)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Did you read the first one? Would you recommend it as well?

message 9: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Wright Interesting review. When I first saw the cover I was pretty shocked you were reading it, but it sounds like a good book.

message 8: by RuthAnn (new) - added it

RuthAnn Thanks for the review! I've never heard of this before, but now it's definitely on my to-read list. Jane Austen + Magic? Sounds great to me!

message 7: by Filippy (new) - added it

Filippy Cool authors get all the cool ARC copies

Priscilla The first book in the series, "Shades of Milk and Honey," was excellent. I got the audiobook, read by Kowal herself, and I absolutely loved it. Can't wait to listen to this one!

message 5: by Chia-Wen (new) - added it

Chia-Wen I enjoyed the first book as well. Looking forward to book 2.

message 4: by Darin (new)

Darin How does this compare with "Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell"? It sounds a bit similar...JS&MN is one of my all time favorites - top 10.

message 3: by Samuel (new) - added it

Samuel Priscilla wrote: "The first book in the series, "Shades of Milk and Honey," was excellent. I got the audiobook, read by Kowal herself, and I absolutely loved it. Can't wait to listen to this one!"

Last I asked, there wasn't an audiobook planned for this one. (I also enjoyed listening to the first!)

Bryan Schmidt The first was really delightful. I wasn't sure if I'd like it because I have not read a lot of Jane Austen, but I really found it charming. Almost as charming as the author herself.

message 1: by Wickedwookie (new)

Wickedwookie Samuel wrote: "Priscilla wrote: "The first book in the series, "Shades of Milk and Honey," was excellent. I got the audiobook, read by Kowal herself, and I absolutely loved it. Can't wait to listen to this one!..."

AFAIK you could ask her that question at Patrick's blog, in the comments section, as she agreed in that interview to have a look at possible questions over the next few days: