Navi's Reviews > 2001: A Space Odyssey

2001 by Arthur C. Clarke

Jan 18, 12

bookshelves: classics, sci-fi, supernatural

Let me preface this review by saying I've never seen the movies. Ever. I knew about Hal, sure, but who doesn't know that at this point? He's like the grandaddy of all our favorite evil AIs (SHODAN, GLaDOS, etc).

Anyway, this book was okay. I was scratching my head at points - the ending almost made me bang my head against the wall in frustration - but I sort of... kind of... get it. Maybe?

Well, what I liked about this book was that it didn't go out of its way to lecture me. It didn't scream that nuclear war was evil or that SPACE = DEATH or etc. It just kind of implied it, which I really liked. Finally, thought I, a book that's not trying to pound anything in my head!

Then the ending came. And that ending.

I'll just, uh, pretend to get it. Even though I really didn't. I mean, I get what happened, sort of... But it was like the book took a plunge off the deep end for the last fifty pages. Not that the rest of it wasn't weird, and the technology shown had been shown before, but while everything else had a sort-of realism to it, the ending confused the bonkers out of me.

Otherwise, the writing is pretty clear and concise, the space travel is realistic and it doesn't try and pump every single Captain Planet lecture into your head, so I really did appreciate that.

4 out of 5 stars.

Next time I'll be reviewing 2010: Odyssey Two! Will it leave me just as confused as this book did? Stay tuned! =P

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 2001.