Ann's Reviews > The Host

The Host by Stephenie Meyer

Apr 17, 12

bookshelves: 2012, science-fiction, book-club
Read from February 09 to 13, 2012

In The Host, a parasitic alien species has taken over earth and inhabits human bodies. The first 100 pages are gripping - Stephenie Meyer is a creative writer who has come up with an interesting premise. It's told through the point of view of one of the aliens, but we also see glimpses of her host as she tries to fight the invasion.

However, Meyer falls into some of the same traps that plagued the Twilight books - hundreds of pages where nothing happens (I literally skimmed the middle 400 pages), flat characters, and simplistic writing. The main character (Wanderer) is docile and bland like Bella in Twilight, and is similarly involved in an abusive relationship. Meyer skirts around what could be some interesting relationships between alien/host/lover.

The ending is interesting, but she really takes the easy way out. I wouldn't really recommend this book to anyone, but it was kind of fun in its own way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Host.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jannette (new) - added it

Jannette Thanks Ann. I will now relinquish my guilt about putting this book down after 100 pages.