NotoriousGOT's Reviews > Goddess Interrupted

Goddess Interrupted by Aimee Carter

Jan 24, 12

bookshelves: advance-copies, 2012-read, romance, young-adult, fantasy, kindle
Read from January 21 to 24, 2012

3.25-3.5 stars for this one (yes, I like fractions)

This is not a story of Greek Gods and Goddesses fighting their creators for the right to live and prosper. I mean yes, it is, but to me what this story really is about is what happens when you fall in love with someone and you come to the painful realization that they may not love you as much or in the same way that you love them. My review below is for this aspect of the book and not the whole battle, Persephone storyline because in my opinion if you read it for what I saw in it, you'll appreciate this story much much more.

Even though this story brings many more fantastical elements than the Goddess Test and had some very confusing sections, Aimee Carter still grounds her story with the very real storyline of love gone wrong.

In The Goddess Test, we saw Kate as this strong, independent young woman dealing with the slow death of her mother and coming to terms with the possibility of being alone for the rest of her life. But in Goddess Interrupted, we see Kate's strong exterior slowly crumble into a million pieces when she comes to the realization that her decision to marry Henry in the first book may not have been the best decision after all. Throughout the entire Goddess Interrupted, we see Kate constantly second guessing herself, her decisions and her relationship with Henry.

Aimee Carter has absolutely nailed that raw anxiety, panic and desperation that comes when you think you've made the wrong decisions in life and you're forced to make new decisions about your future. At times I found myself cringing and frowning because her plight was so real it unfortunately reminded me of similar situations that have happened in my own life at that age.

Even though I found myself uncomfortably reminded of my own past at times, I think that's why I enjoyed this book, because I could sympathize with Kate's journey towards crazy-girlfriend status.

I am really looking forward to the third book, especially with that surprise ending from Goddess Interrupted, because I am curious to see how Aimee Carter will continue to evolve Kate and how her relationship with Henry and her family will progress.

NOTE: Thanks to HarlequinTEEN and Netgalley for the chance to review this before it comes out!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Goddess Interrupted.