Naberius's Reviews > A Long, Long Sleep

A Long, Long Sleep by Anna Sheehan

Jan 17, 2012

liked it

As you may be able to tell from the above summary, this is a re-telling of the Sleeping Beauty story, set in a futuristic Earth. However, this is no Disney-fied story where Rose is perfect, birds fly around her head, singing (or was that Snow White), and there is a Prince Charming. Rather, this is more like a fairytale with a bit of horror, science and politics mixed in. And - don't let the fact that this is technically a little science-fiction-y scare you away ---- it's not hard science fiction that's all about space travel and math. Rather, it's about one girl's journey to not only figure out what she's going to do now that she has re-joined the living world, but also, her attempt to discover what is real about her past.

Rose isn't a perfect character, and I actually didn't really like her at times because I felt she was annoying. However, as the story progressed, I started to understand her, and why she was the way she was ..... because she had not only spent 62 years in stasis, sleeping away all of those years, but also because her parents had deliberately kept her in a very sheltered existence. Once her character started developing, and becoming a bit more rounded-out, I felt more comfortable with her.

I thought the author did a good job of re-working a story that many of us are familiar with, and then adding in some things that really made me think. For example, it turns out that Rose's parents frequently put her into stasis just because they could (because they needed to travel and didn't want to deal with her, or they found her annoying, or any reason they thought of) --- when you think about it, that's pretty horrifying. The idea of your parents imposing not only their rules on you ..... but then stealing years of your life by putting you into a stasis sleep.... and never explaining, never apologizing. The author also gives us the Dark Times - a time period that begins and ends while Rose is in stasis, but a period which completely changes the world. And, I felt the author made it seem pretty believable --- there is mention of genetically modified foods and seeds causing problems with not only agriculture, but with human reproduction, as well.

FULL REVIEW on my blog, Fluidityoftime.blogspot.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Long, Long Sleep.