Larry Kenney's Reviews > The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals

The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan

Jan 26, 12

bookshelves: cookbooks, health-diet-and-nutrition
Recommended to Larry by: NPR
Recommended for: everyone
Read in January, 2011, read count: 2

This book drastically changed my outlook on how I eat. When I read this, I had been a vegetarian for 14 years. Before I had even finished, I realized that my outlook had changed.

First, I was astounded on the impact of corn on our diets, our economy, and our nation.

Second, after reading about the sustainable food market, I realized that I could and probably should, go back to eating meat. I was vegetarian out of a moral choice that I could not support factory farming and slaughter of animals. However, reading that there were farms and ranches out there treating their animals and ecosystems with respect, I changed my diet and feel that I have not compromised my morals. To this day I still only eat 100% grassfed meat and sustainable seafood.

One thing that personally helped me with the decision is that I worked on a breeding ranch for Registered Herford cows in South Dakota for a few years in high school. I saw how pastured raised animals lived, and I know they were better off in that environment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Omnivore's Dilemma.