Heather's Reviews > Creatura

Creatura by Nely Cab

Jan 20, 12

Read from January 17 to 20, 2012

This book was an interesting read. I was certainly invested in the story early on and I liked it. I look forward to reading more about this story.

The proverb at the beginning of the book really captures the theme of the entire book - "Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life." Once Isis and David's relationship gets through that rocky start and they realize what they mean to each other, it is rather sweet. They meet in a an unconventional way (the man of her dreams - ha) - with David trying to push her away and then Isis doing the same. At first, the way that David acted with her, I wasn't sure he was a good guy to be with. He seemed rather possessive and not in a sweet way, but in an abusive way. After he goes to visit a friend, it seems he changed and I grew to like him more. Isis sometimes bothered me too only because I really don't see teenagers talking the way that she did sometimes - for example,"I beg you to abnegate me because I don't have the strength to renounce you." Nely Cab does have some beautiful writing though.

There was a reveal in the book that didn't really come as a shock to me, but the getting there was fun. I would recommend this book to anyone interesting in YA books.

On a side note, I do find it kind of funny that two of the last few books I've read, there is a significant age difference between the male and female characters. Is that a thing now? In this one, he looks like a teenager but he is really 2-3,000 years old.

And finally, just a minor critique or observation:

I wondered why Isis went into that dream in the beginning if she knew that the dream would cause her insomnia.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Creatura.