Rebecca Mabe's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

Feb 01, 12

Read from January 17 to February 01, 2012

I really wanted to love this book; it has all the pomp and circumstance of the fantasy novels that I have come to know and love...but none of the romance. There is no doubt that George R.R. Martin is an exceptional writer. This book is chock full of characters that consistently change and develop while still taking action that surprises the reader. The "heroes" you love, and the "villians" you hate are all present with some that even linger in the gray area of indifference or indecision. The detail that Martin has put into his world is nothing short of amazing...all of the characters and the places have these extensive histories that he fully fleshes out without boring the reader. This books' failing for me is that I am a girl who thrives on the "happily ever after" and that outcome is certainly not achieved in this series. Martin is not afraid to let good and evil BOTH fail in their endeavors. While some may argue that this realism adds believability and depth to the series I would have to disagree. I don't want to read a book that will depress me unless I'm getting something meaningful out of it. This book is not going to change how I look at life; so I don't believe that it should have the ability to sour my mood for the day. I want good to prevail...I want romance, danger, adventure....AND my happy ending. All action in this book is an endless string of misery with no end in sight, just consistent warring and bickering among these "noble" houses who execute good men and send their bastard children to live a life of solitude and misery isolated from the life they had previously known. This drudgery is what makes this a 3 star book for me and not a 5 star book. That being said...I care about the characters (although I've been told they will start dropping like flies) and most likely will continue the series. I'll just have to pick up a lighthearted "chick flick" in between.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.