CaliGirlRae's Reviews > Brave New World

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

Mar 20, 09

bookshelves: favorite, sci-fi, classics, futuristic, favorites
Recommended for: Sci-Fi, dystopia and philosophy fans
Read in May, 1999 , read count: 2

I first read this soft sci-fi book in the 11th grade and right then and there it became my favorite book of all time. Written in 1932, this book explores a future of utopia where we have a social hierarchy built on a caste system. From the highest branch (Alphas) to the lowest worker branch (Epsilons). The story employs use of media to implant a thinking process using sleep learning to teach workers to think a certain way, a drug to raise your mood on the dot and genetic engineering to turn procreation into strictly recreational sex. "Everybody belongs to everyone else" goes the motto.

Sound a bit familiar?

BNW was written as satire on a dystopia future (sold as a utopia) that could be. Like Huxley's contemporary, 1984 author George Orwell, the future turned out to be more close to our reality than Huxley probably imagined. The book is science fiction and philosophy and could fall into the realm of horror based on how scary this "perfect" future is. Many papers have been written comparing this world to ours including the use of computers and science to rule our lives. And this was written in the 30s!

I would classify this book as one you MUST read sometime in your lifetime. There are so many intricate layers to uncover as you follow the characters thought their life changing journeys. Not to mention those cool character names.

Brave New World is a classic to add to your keeper shelf!
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brave New World.