Mark's Reviews > Sign of the Unicorn

Sign of the Unicorn by Roger Zelazny

Jan 20, 12

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from January 17 to 20, 2012, read count: 1

It's tough to describe the extent to which this series is hitting me with nostalgia for days gone by. Other than the story of "The Sleeper" in the original Wild Cards, which I only read a few months ago, I've never before read anything by Zelazny, but it just feels so familiar, and not because it's ripping off everything. Rather because so much was clearly inspired by it.

As I progress further, I am even more reminded of something specific to myself, as I spent a while in my early 20s writing some things in collaboration with some cohorts at a random Internet message board I used to visit. That stuff was basically like the story behind Amber, except instead of only fantasy trappings there was also a lot of influence from science fiction and various Japanese anime and video games. But I don't think any of those guys had likely ever read Zelazny. Maybe the one who started it did and that started things on the path. I don't know. It's really fascinating to me.

So, I guess the grand plot is starting to reveal itself, finally, and this third portion answered a number of unanswered questions from the first couple of parts with respect to the status of certain characters and why things happened the way that they did. I've had a tough time keeping track of most of the characters as this has moved on. There's really not a lot to differentiate some of the brothers and pretty much all of the sisters. Then again as they are fairly continually dying off, the rest come clearer into focus as the dead are removed from the picture. Perhaps it will become clearer still as the conflict between Amber and Shadow comes to the forefront. Or maybe not, but I guess I'll keep reading anyway, because I find it interesting even if I can't articulate why.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sign of the Unicorn.