Amy Jacobs's Reviews > Empty

Jan 17, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: books-i-own
Read in January, 2012

For such a short read, this book pulls out all the punches! When it first arrived in my mailbox, I wasn't too sure I wanted to start reading another Dystopia right now. I seemed to be leaning toward dystopia lately and I didn't want to get burnt out on them just yet. When I saw that it was a short read though I went ahead and gave it a go!

Imagine ten years from now the price of gasoline being $20 a gallon. Not hard to imagine with the way gas prices have been climbing the last few years. Now imagine the price of oil being in the $500 a barrel range. Are you starting to form a picture in your mind yet? Without oil, our country would be in a world of hurt and that is what this book presents to the reader. What would our country be like with low amounts of oil available and gas prices so high that only the super rich could afford to drive anywhere. In turn, this causes electricity to sky rocket to where heat and cooling becomes something of the past.

This book is told from three different point of views involving Gwen, Tom and Niki. While the characters were okay, they weren't outstanding. They were pretty plain and basic within the realm of characterization. They were the typical teens thrown into the element of survival.

If you are looking for a quick read in the dystopia world of young adult reads, then give this one a chance. It may not be as amazing as some of the other books out right now, but it does give you a real look into what our world could be like in the future if things don't change now in the real world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Empty.