Victoria's Reviews > Dead to You

Feb 10, 12

liked it
bookshelves: gratis
Read from February 06 to 09, 2012

** spoiler alert ** 3.5 stars.

I received a free copy of this book through a Good Reads First Read giveaway. Thanks!

Don't get me wrong -- this book is compulsively readable. Had the ending not, well, ended so abruptly, I would have given it at least 4+ stars.

The characterization is pitch perfect. The only weak link in the enter book is "Ethan's" father. He doesn't get much screen time and it feels like he panders to Mama's desire to have her son back, at any cost.

Or is it really her son?

The interaction between "Ethan" and Blake is what makes this book. I would have liked to see a bit more background as to why Blake was so bitter and so determined to prove "Ethan" isn't really his long lost brother. Sure, jealousy was used as an explanation - this book was written in 1st person from the POV of "Ethan" - but there has to be more to it than just simple jealousy springing from sibling rivalry.

The climax comes at the very end. And then just leaves you hang. You're given a quick glimpse as to why "Ethan" did what he did. However, for this reader, it wasn't enough. Desperation to escape his current existence must have been front and center but it didn't give me the full picture of why he would pull the wool over this family's eyes and do both the unthinkable and despicable.

A solid effort by Ms. McMann. I would recommend this to older teens, due to a slight sexually charged situation with Cami along with the language. If I were "Ethan's" mother - both real and contrived - I would wash his mouth out with soap.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead to You.

02/07/2012 page 109
02/08/2012 page 176
72.0% 3 comments

Carie *SPOILER* comment: I had the impression that it was supposed to be some serious repression and not a conscious decision on “Ethan’s” part. How else could his complete lack of concern for paternity tests be explained?! I can’t decide if it’s really at all believable that he could delude himself to this extent, though…? Loved your review!!