Leea's Reviews > The Gamble

The Gamble by Kristen Ashley

Feb 26, 2012

Read from February 23 to 26, 2012

4 stars...

I don't traditionally read contemporary romance, not because I don't like romance, but mainly because it's two perfect people coming together. This is not the case with The Gamble. My first book by Kristen Ashley and I have to say I really enjoyed it. This book has been making it's way through the GoodReads community and I decided to jump on the bandwagon, sure glad I did.

Here is the cast of characters: We have Nina and American that was living in England and decided to take a Timeout adventure in Gnaw Bone, Colorado (that's not a real town, I searched :). She meets Holden Maxwell, 'Max' to everyone and that when the true adventure starts. The characters that bring this book such a loving feel are the quirky inhabitants of Gnaw Bone. Max's door is always open and let me tell you sometimes it feels like the whole town is knocking on it. Nina and Max are older, mid thirties and they have a past that's not pretty and that's what makes their characters so easy to love.

Holden Maxwell, is domineering, controlling, honest, not afraid to reveal his faults or apologize for something he's done wrong. He's a marvelous Big Mountain Man that you cannot help but fall head over boots for.

This book has it's flaws, could have used more editing and it's way too long. Nina is always looking at something and that's described in excruciating detail. That fades away when a story grips you and you cannot stop thinking about it, that what happened to me while reading The Gamble

Note: If you liked this book, it reminded me of another series by Robin Carr, Virgin River

This is who I pictured as Max, Timothy Olyphant

6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gamble.

message 1: by Kay (new)

Kay Great review. I might read this one soon.

Leea Thanks Kay! I think you will like it :) We tend to like a lot of the same books. It's lendable for Nook - let me know if you want it.

Christine (Cagnes) Great review! I probably would have rated this one higher if not for editing problems & repetitiveness. It was a bit tiring reading Max, Max, Max & about all the three point turns... lol!

It also reminded me of the Virgin River series, which I love. I'm disappointed that this series doesn't seem to be related or a continuation like the Virgin River books. I was hoping that the 2nd book would have been Brody's story! :-(

Leea Same here... I want Brody to have a HEA. I could not agree more about Nina's 'Max' and those darn three point turns lol! It was annoying how her speech changed from more accented English to Darlin' so quickly. I will admit that I cried (view spoiler)

Christine (Cagnes) I cried at that part too, loved the ending!

Yeah, maybe you can try skipping if you're not into that book. I've enjoyed all of the VR books so far, but most were audiobooks. It's a series I enjoy listening to on mt ipod... I like the narrator & they're on the short side. They make mundane tasks seem like fun! ;-)

message 6: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Holdsworth Good objective review.

message 7: by Regina (new)

Regina Leea, I was just coming on to your view to ask if it compared at all to Virgin River (and Troubleshooters). I am nearing the end of Virgin River and sad to leave it! And I see you said in your review that it compares to Virgin River! That makes me excited to know I have this waiting for me. :)

Leea Max is controlling and i'm not sure if you would like him... You could always give it a try but it's a long book, about 800 pages. Gnaw Bone is a small town like Virgin River. In the other two books, then men are not as controlling :) There is a scene where Max (view spoiler)

message 9: by Regina (last edited Apr 09, 2012 07:06AM) (new)

Regina Ah, I remember you saying that. Thank you. :) I got carried away. I need something that will substitute for Virgin River!

message 10: by Leea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leea You don't have to read The Gamble in order to read the next two books, Sweet Dreams and Lady Luck. The men in those are not as controlling and it's another small town.

message 11: by Regina (new)

Regina Thanks Leea, I will look at them. They seem inexpensive on Amazon.

I guess the involved stories that twine together -- like Troubleshooters, BDB, and Virgin River are what I am looking for.

message 12: by Leea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leea I'll see if my are lendable and send you a message ;)

Yeah, good ones like that are hard to find. I recently read Talk Me Down (Tumble Creek, #1) by Victoria Dahl with Stacia and it was really good. It's set in a small town also and there are a few books out already.

message 13: by Regina (new)

Regina Thanks Leea. :)

message 14: by Leea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leea Check you're email :)

Talk me Down was really funny.