Chichipio's Reviews > Flesh and Blood

Flesh and Blood by Kristen Painter

Jan 17, 12

bookshelves: urban-fantasy
Read from January 16 to 17, 2012

This quote is the perfect example of why this book is getting one star:
She closed the door, confident of only one thing. She wanted Mal and Creek in her life. How she would accomplish that without destroying them both remained to be seen.
The emphasis is not even mine. Anyone who have ever read one of my reviews knows that I hate love triangles with a fiery passion. I don't understand why writers use them or what they like about them, but I accept the fact that they do. As long as they are upfront about it, I don't mind. I respectfully stay away from their works and everyone's happy. Now, to be sucker punched with one in the second book of a trilogy is just not right. I feel cheated. I'm not sure if that simple word can encompass the magnitude of what it means to me. It couldn't be worse if I had started a steampunk series set in Victorian England only to find out that, in the second book, the characters uncover a weird device that allows traveling through time and space so, after accidentally activating it, they all end up in a galaxy far far away, millions of years ago, training with Yoda to become Jedi.

This detracted from my liking the characters quite a bit, but it wasn't the only problem:
• Again there were stupid choices all around, as if they good guys wanted to lose and were trying to make things easier for the other side; secrets, half-truths and outright lies from the beginning that even as they backfired and complicated things for everyone involved didn't seem to teach anyone anything, since as soon as another opportunity would arise they went right back to keeping more secrets and telling more lies.
• That foolishness with the ritual to visit the Aurelian? Come on, lowering your characters' IQ is not the right way of furthering the story.
• Then there's the way in which some characters behaved, going completely against the personalities given to them in the first book. Dominic from Book 1 is a ruthless bastard, sure, but a clever one. Here, he's just petty. That whole business with Doc and the witches was dreadful, and again, from what happened at the very end, it proved to be just another way of advancing the story with no care at all for what the characters had to do to get there.

I could go on, but at this point it would be like beating a dead horse. Suffice it to say, I didn't like it and I can't recommend a series that changed its very nature mid-stride.
13 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flesh and Blood.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) I told you not to read it. :P

Chichipio You did, but you also know how bad I am at following good advice. On the plus side, this series is working wonders to kick-start my inner review-engine. And now… I'm going to start Bad Blood, of course.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) You will not! What is wrong with you? Even I put that one on hold. The good news is that the love triangle is somehow resolved. That's what I heard, anyway.

Oh, and I'm afraid I'm going to have to admit defeat about Raven Cursed as well. I preordered it, and it sucks! *cries*
As soon as it became clear that she'll forgive Ricky-bo (or should I say Ricky ho), I was done.